Peanut Butter and Honey

what i love about life!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Don't forget to write!

Last weekend was SUPER busy! One of my favorite couples is moving to Africa in two weeks...I am pretty devastated for myself but ecstatic for them! Rachel is my crafting buddy and fellow blogger. Her husband Will could also qualify as my crafting buddy as well because he provided some great company and laughs while Rachel and I worked. We had some great times over the past year. I can't wait to hear how Africa is and I REALLY want to be able to visit them!

This weekend was their going away weekend. I'm sure it was quite a whirlwind weekend for them. They actually had two parties this weekend (to read Rachel's take on the weekend and much better pictures, click here). The party I was semi in charge of was a potluck picnic and was pretty laid back. We planned for it to be at a local park and kept our fingers crossed that the rain stayed away.... and it did! Although, it was a little sticky and hot, we still had a great time!

The party was a potluck picnic...perfect for a warm summer evening! I wanted a cold dish that was easy. After searching a few of my favorite blogs, I came across this recipe for Southwestern Quinoa Salad. This dish was perfect...easy...cold...and DELICIOUS! I had a box of quinoa in my kitchen so it seemed just right. This grain is something the gf cooking community raves about but I was a little hesitant. I also don't think trying a new dish out at a party is always the best idea but thankfully this one worked!n (fyi...I loaded my pictures backwards and am too lazy to fix)

The finished bowl of deliciousness

All the veggies pre-quinoa...corn, onion, bell pepper, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro...simply wonderful! I could probably have eaten this without adding the quinoa!!

Cooked quinoa... this stuff really fluffs up!

I also got to play around with the decorations for the picnic. We have a fun wholesale florist here in town that I stopped by the morning of the party. They have two huge walk in coolers full of flowers to choose from. I can be a little indecisive when it comes to picking out flowers but I also cannot stand to be cold. I made my flower selection fairly quickly!

I don't remember what the green ones are but the white flowers are freesia. The smelled delightful!

While at the florist, I found some flower pots I thought I could use.

My flower vase is one of my mom's canning jars (usually full of yummy blackberry jam)

The finished decorations

and a few lanterns for the tree

I will miss Rachel and Will so much! I am a little sad that I forgot to get a picture of all of us together... I guess we will have to do that when I go to Africa!

1 comment:

  1. we are going to miss you. thank you for all your work on the going away party.

    ReplyDelete