Peanut Butter and Honey

what i love about life!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

drum roll please....

So this past weekend on of my favorite people celebrated her birthday...and if you read my blog a few weeks ago, then this means I gave my first (of many...) homemade gifts!! It was so fun and luckily I got it finished before my vacation, so I wasn't stressed. She was a great sport at being the first recipient...let's just say I hope my skills get better as the year goes on (basically, the Christmas gifts will probably be the best)!

I didn't have a difficult time trying to figure out what to make. And since she is one of my besties...I knew it had to be special. So here is the run down of what I made :)

Project # 1



Finished product.... a cupcake pincushion!


This project was not easy for a beginning knitter. I wouldn't have been able to complete it without my knitting friend Rhi (a complete lifesaver...especially when I had to rip out 4 rows and then was COMPLETELY lost in the pattern). It was a free pattern I found through Ravelry (an ah-mazing resource for knitting patterns) and can be found on the Spud & Chloe website.

Project # 2
Finished product...a travel sewing organizer

Complete with multiple pockets, a pin holder, & spool holders

And it rolls up neatly when you store it!

This project had me working on my sewing skills (which are a bit dusty since I haven't done much sewing since...well... high school home ec.). The pattern for this came from the book One Yard Wonders. I am sure there will be more homemade gifts that come out of this book before this year is over! During this project I think I ripped out more seams than not and I learned how to add (and remove) snaps. Just a tip, be careful if you are adding snaps that you don't break them...they are not too easy to remove :)

I think she liked her gifts and I am pretty proud of my first accomplishments! There will be another homemade gift coming soon!

You can probably tell that I am also trying to experiment with and hone my blogging skills, which is why there are a few crazy collages thrown in here (just wish I knew how to make them bigger) and a new blog header. Any and ALL blog advice is welcome! Oh and thank you to those who leave comments! It makes me very happy to get them (hint...hint...)! :)

3 comments:

  1. it all turned out so great. i really like your banner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute...maybe Frances Dixon will get some homemade goodies too...No pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved, loved, loved my gifts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete