Peanut Butter and Honey

what i love about life!

Monday, March 28, 2011

weekend roundup

This weekend was quite busy for me! I went to the national conference for my profession, which just happened to be right around the corner in New Orleans. Let me start off by saying, it was a great weekend!

I would definitely say I am somewhat of a conference nerd and try to attend as many sessions as possible. One of the things I loved about school was learning, but hated the tests... so I feel like going to a conference is getting the good stuff without those pesky tests. But I ran into problems when it came to choosing which ones to attend.... there were so many great subjects! Soledad O'Brien was the keynote speaker. She was phenomenal... I wish I had cable so I could watch her specials on CNN.
Joining me this weekend for the conference were some amazing people. My friend Brie and I met up with two friends, Joey and Jessica, that we hadn't seen in almost two years! I love the people in my life that just pick up like we never missed a day apart. Needless to say we had a great time exploring New Orleans and dining on delicious food. I even found some gluten free choices :)
Joey, Jessica, Me, Brie
Muriel's in the French Quarter. They have a gf menu (with desserts!!!!)

yep...yummy gf pizza at Naked Pizza. It was probably the most delicious pizza I have had since changing my diet to gluten free!
This is Elizabeth's. My favorite waiter, Jeff, took good care of me. He brought gf cornbread muffins to our table...so yummy. I had the most delicious lump crab and avocado salad!

I even made some new friends, one of which works for Make It Right. Make It Right is the organization Brad Pitt started that is rebuilding the lower 9th ward. He drove us down there one night to see the progress and incredible houses. Unfortunately because it was late, I couldn't take pictures of the houses (go check them out on the link). He also drove us by the spot where the levee failed. It was very eerie. I can't imagine what it feels like to live there after experiencing and living through that trauma. I was immediately filled with varying emotions as I saw the empty slabs and heard stories of the people who live there.

new friends Cesar and Casie
the digital playground (read about it)
this is in honor of the lives lost in Katrina

Before I knew it, the weekend was over! There is so much to do in New Orleans...I think I need to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment